About Myself

My photo
Singapore
Hi ! Welcome to my blog on orchids and landscape design. I have been growing various type of orchids along the balcony of my high-rise apartment since 2004. My favorite orchid genus of all times are Bulbophyllum, Onicidium as well as Cattleya alliances. I love bulbophyllum for their exotic form and intricate 'movable lip'. Although I have been growing orchids with little success, due to the lack of sufficient sunlight and low humidity, as well as strong wind which prevail at my growing area, I still try to find the right types of orchids for my flat through trial and error. Occassionally, my orchids have surprised me with unexpected bloom that would make my day! Beside orchids, I also enjoyed strolling in public gardens and parks, and at the same time looking at the landscape design intent. In my blog, I'll be sharing with you, photographs of orchids that I adore and as well as interesting parks that I have ventured. I hope you will enjoy these photos too and please feel free to leave some comments or thoughts. Thank you for viewing my photo blog.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bulbophyllum putidum (syn. fascinator) [1]


Bulbophyllum putidum (syn. fascinator) [1]
(Teijsm. & Binn.) J.J.Sm. 1912 
Section: Cirrhopetalum

This commonly grown orchid, Bulbophyllum putidum or common known as 'The Putrid Mastigon' emits a foul smell of rotting matter to attract its pollinator, usually flies. Although, the smell may not be pleasant, its unique lip that moves with the slightest air movement and as well as its crimson red lip color, never fails to 'fascinate' many growers from all over the world.

































It is a hot to intermediate growing Bulbophyllum species from India, Borneo to Northeastern of Thailand as well as in Philippines. The flowering period in Thailand is recorded between September - October, however it blooms in early April in Singapore. I have been growing this orchid from Thailand since September 2010 and this is its 1st flowering for me.
Close-up of flower and lip structure. 







Fine strand of purplish colored hairs along the flower sepals move in the slightest air movement.


This small sized bulbophyllum is mounted on a piece of wood strip without any mosses. The orchid is watered once daily in the morning and kept dry most of the day. It is hang on my gate which is airy with bright indirect light. I think perhaps the dryness triggered the flowering of the orchid.

The single flower measures 11-12 cm in length and 1 cm wide on a 5-6 cm long inflorescence (spike).

























The crimson red color lip and as well as the fine dots and markings on the orchid's  sepal and below the column, 
lure the flies into pollinate the plant.  
Top & Bottom: This orchid could be Bulbophyllum appendiculatum that often confused with Bulbophyllum putidum. 
Both Bulbophyllum display similar distinctive lip which look like a tongue sticking out to the pollinator. 

 Another photo of Bulbophyllum appendiculatum taken during Singapore Garden Fest 2008
The bloom last about 6-7 days, before the flower started to show sign of wilting. 

To me, wilting flower have their own beauty. Let me know your view on this thought?

Close-up of the wilted flower.


2 comments:

  1. amazing blog... opens up a whole new view of what orchids can be... this is a sinister looking specimen, never seen before in my life here in malaysia esp in plant nurseries, even in the famous orchid shops of sungai buloh!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for your kind comment.

    Like many of southeast asia countries, Malaysia have a diverse collection of orchid species. Perhaps if you are based near Kedah, you can try to visit NT Orchids (their website can be found at my link list).

    Thanks again for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete