About Myself

My photo
Singapore
Hi ! Welcome to my blog on orchids and landscape design. I have been growing various type of orchids along the balcony of my high-rise apartment since 2004. My favorite orchid genus of all times are Bulbophyllum, Onicidium as well as Cattleya alliances. I love bulbophyllum for their exotic form and intricate 'movable lip'. Although I have been growing orchids with little success, due to the lack of sufficient sunlight and low humidity, as well as strong wind which prevail at my growing area, I still try to find the right types of orchids for my flat through trial and error. Occassionally, my orchids have surprised me with unexpected bloom that would make my day! Beside orchids, I also enjoyed strolling in public gardens and parks, and at the same time looking at the landscape design intent. In my blog, I'll be sharing with you, photographs of orchids that I adore and as well as interesting parks that I have ventured. I hope you will enjoy these photos too and please feel free to leave some comments or thoughts. Thank you for viewing my photo blog.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dendrobium discolor 'Rigo Twist'

Dendrobium discolor 
Lindley 1841 
SECTION Spatulata

I have been growing this beautiful Dendrobium discolor along my balcony since April 2010. This hot growing lowland orchid species can be found from Australia to Papua New Guinea. The plant can grow at least 2.0 m high in its natural habitat. This all year round bloomer can produces an average of 40 brownish yellow flowers on a 50-60 cm long spike. The flower measures 4 cm wide.


The featured plant, Dendrobium discolor 'Rigo Twist' is considered a dwarf form of the species:
i)   As its height is only 15-16 cm tall;
ii)  Each flower measures 3 cm wide x 2.5 cm high. The flower spike is about 15-16cm long.

I am quite surprised that the orchid managed to bloom at my balcony which is partially lit up for 2-3 hrs during the day. 

Total flower counts: 22 flowers.

I have noted that the plant's 1st bloom is during July 2010 and 2nd bloom is May 2011. The spikes are borne from the orchid's previous pseudo bulb. The flowers can last around 2-3 weeks and are slightly scented during daytime and even after nightfall.

The plant falls under SECTION Spatulata, which the typical flower have the distinctive twisted lateral sepals that resembles horn of an antler, hence the common name 'the antler or antelope orchid'.

Close-up of the twisted pairs of lateral sepals. 



Another 3 flower inflorescences was observed between mid May- June 2011. One of the spike with 10-12 flowers, was borne from the new pseudo-bulb (refer to above photo) and the other two emerging spikes are from the old bulb.

I hope the number of flower counts would improve from the orchid's subsequent flowering.    

No comments:

Post a Comment