About Myself

My photo
Singapore
Hi ! Welcome to my blog on orchids and landscape design. I have been growing various type of orchids along the balcony of my high-rise apartment since 2004. My favorite orchid genus of all times are Bulbophyllum, Onicidium as well as Cattleya alliances. I love bulbophyllum for their exotic form and intricate 'movable lip'. Although I have been growing orchids with little success, due to the lack of sufficient sunlight and low humidity, as well as strong wind which prevail at my growing area, I still try to find the right types of orchids for my flat through trial and error. Occassionally, my orchids have surprised me with unexpected bloom that would make my day! Beside orchids, I also enjoyed strolling in public gardens and parks, and at the same time looking at the landscape design intent. In my blog, I'll be sharing with you, photographs of orchids that I adore and as well as interesting parks that I have ventured. I hope you will enjoy these photos too and please feel free to leave some comments or thoughts. Thank you for viewing my photo blog.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

20th WOC Singapore 2011 (Part 2- V.I.P Orchids)

..........continued from my previous blog post '20th WOC Singapore 2011 (Part 1- Winners & Show Centrepiece)'.

The following display was put up by Singapore Botanic Garden (SBG) that featured local orchid hybrids named after various V.I.P.

These orchid hybrids were contained in a metallic mesh in the shape of a floral petal.
Paravanda Nelson Mandela (Vanda Mas Los Angeles x Paraphalaenopsis labukensis) - was named after His Excellency Nelson Mandela on 5 March 1997.


Dendrobium Abdullah The Second (Den Nilda Patricia Zedillo x Den lasianthera) - was named after His Majesty Abdullah II, King of the Hashemite Kindgom of Jordan on 20 June 2001.
Dendrobium Alois (Den Nilda Tanlass x Den sutiknoi) - was named after His Serene Highness Hereditary Prince Alois von und zu Liechtenstein of the Principality of Liechtensteins on 3 Sept 2010.
Dendrobium Anand Satyanand 'Susan' (Den Christabella x Den lasianthera) - was named after His Excellency Sir Anand Satyanand, Govenor-General of New Zealand and Lady Susan Satyanand, Spouse of the Govenor-General of New Zealand on 17 May 2010.
Dendrobium Angela Merkel (Den Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono x Den taurinum) -was named after Her Excellency, Dr Angela Merkel, Chancellorof the Federal Republic of Germany on 2 Jun 2011.
Dendrobium Margret Thatcher (Den Concham x Den lasianthera) - was named after the Baroness Marget Thatcher, Then Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in 1985.

Continue to my next blog post '20th WOC Singapore 2011 (Part 3- Orchid Parade)'................

No comments:

Post a Comment