About Myself

My photo
Singapore
Hi ! Welcome to my blog on orchids and landscape design. I have been growing various type of orchids along the balcony of my high-rise apartment since 2004. My favorite orchid genus of all times are Bulbophyllum, Onicidium as well as Cattleya alliances. I love bulbophyllum for their exotic form and intricate 'movable lip'. Although I have been growing orchids with little success, due to the lack of sufficient sunlight and low humidity, as well as strong wind which prevail at my growing area, I still try to find the right types of orchids for my flat through trial and error. Occassionally, my orchids have surprised me with unexpected bloom that would make my day! Beside orchids, I also enjoyed strolling in public gardens and parks, and at the same time looking at the landscape design intent. In my blog, I'll be sharing with you, photographs of orchids that I adore and as well as interesting parks that I have ventured. I hope you will enjoy these photos too and please feel free to leave some comments or thoughts. Thank you for viewing my photo blog.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bulbophyllum plumatum



Bulbophyllum plumatum [1]
Ames 1915
Section: Cirrhopetalum

This strange looking orchid also known as 'The Feathery Bulbophyllum or '紅絲帶' (which means red ribbon in chinese). However, I would prefer to call it 'The Red Lantern' or 'The Red Chilli' in my own term. This warm orchid is native to Malaysia, Indonesia as well as in Philippines. 

I have been growing this bulbophyllum since January 2011 along window area at my kitchen yard. The yard receives less indirect sunlight but strong prevailing south-western wind during June-July. Due to the windy condition and as the plant is mounted on a fern bark, I watered it in the morning and evening to increase humidity.

This bulbophyllum has flowered for the first time in mid July 2011. The plant's  budding/ spiking stages are as follows:










The plant take 2-3 weeks from budding to final bloom. The bloom consists of a cluster of 4 flowers arranged in umbel. The flower is nicely presented above the leaf, on a 13 cm long spike. Each crimson red flowers have elongated slender sepal that measures about 15 cm long. The scentless flower lasted about 5-7 days, which is slightly longer period than most of the bulbophyllum from the same Section. 


The slender petal swayed with the breeze (top photo).
The sepals have a 'crumbled' texture throughout its entire length. 
Fine hairs are observed at both sides of the orchid's dorsal sepal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment